Welcome.

I'm glad you stopped by. I hope you'll stop by again.

Saturday, April 14, 2018

#WeWriWa - NUMBERS NEVER LIE: Powers of Observation


Welcome to Weekend Writing Warriors where authors share an 8 - 10 sentence snippet. Be sure to visit the other authors. You can find them here

Sorry to have missed the past couple of weeks. No energy thanks to pneumonia. Now I'm back with a snippet from my WIP, a romantic suspense titled NUMBERS NEVER LIE. To catch up, Drew Campbell is helping to chaperone an overnight camping trip with his daughter, Ellen, and 7 other girls. The group is led by Maggie Sinclair, Drew's best friend's sister. Ellen is angry at Drew, claiming he never listens to her.


“Ellen? Mad at me?” He affected mock surprise, “Your powers of observation are amazing—are you ever wrong?”
Maggie cupped her elbow in her hand and tapped a finger against her jaw, “Let me see now, I was wrong once, fourteen years ago, when I married Roger-Dodger. Have I been wrong since?” She continued the damn tapping then snapped her fingers. “I’ve got it—I was wrong to let Ellen’s city-soft lawyer daddy help chaperone this trip.”
Drew gave her the smile that prosecutors knew better than to believe, “And here I thought it was because nobody else would.”

 This is the tentative blurb:


A shocking secret brings danger to Jack Sinclair and his sister Maggie. 

As kids, they were the fearless threesome. As adults, Jack's an accountant; Drew, a lawyer; Maggie, a teacher and camping troop leader. Returning from a weekend camping trip, Maggie receives horrifying news. She refuses to believe her brother’s fatal car crash was an accident. If the police won’t investigate, she’ll do it herself. Convincing Drew Campbell to help is her only recourse.

Drew Campbell was too busy to return his best friend’s phone call. Too busy to attend a camping meeting important to his teen daughter. Too busy to stay in touch with Jack. Logic and reason indicate Jack’s accident was just that--an accident caused by fatigue and fog. Prodded by guilt, he’ll help Maggie even if he thinks she’s wrong.

A break-in at Jack’s condo convinces Maggie she’s right. Then her home is searched. What did Jack leave behind?




28 comments:

  1. The story is coming along! Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the snark and return of snark. Well written! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, the sparks are flying--and I think we can see only some of them. Nice snippet, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sheesh--I was five blogs away when I realized that I forgot to add that I'm glad you are on the road to wellville. It's been a bad season for flu, colds--and all associated maladies. I'm sorry you got caught up in it.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Teresa. Yes, it's been a bad year.

      Delete
    3. Those sparks will keep on flying.

      Delete
  4. Ooh! Snap! I have a funny feeling these two might hit it off, once they get past the snark.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Drew gave her the smile that prosecutors knew better than to believe, “And here I thought it was because nobody else would.”

    Wow, just wow. This is killer! Talk about sparks flying, oh yes.

    Well done, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great snippet with that snappy dialogue. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Christiane. Those two have a history--as you'll see.

      Delete
  7. Love the banter between these two - and I'm sorry you've been ill but glad to hear you're on the mend now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice discussion between the two of them, I like him better now...glad you're feeling better!!! Enjoyed the snippet...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Veronica. Glad you like him a little better. :)

      Delete
  9. Very funny- sounds like they know each other a little too well. Glad you’ve recovered!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Entertaining banter. You take care of yourself, Diane. The last time I had pneumonia, it left me with damaged lungs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, no, Ed. Pneumonia isn't anything to fool around with. Glad you like the banter.

      Delete
  11. Love the snarky banter. Great snippet.

    I'm glad you're feeling better. Do take care. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. They're getting pretty snarky there. Might want to rein it in before something really hurtful is said!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They might be reverting to childhood. One of them better realize it.

      Delete
  13. Great dialogue, and I enjoyed her body language. Clearly these two are destined for each other!

    ReplyDelete

Love getting your comments. BTW, your comment won't show up until you refresh the page. Isn't that a pain? Thanks for stopping by.